The Importance of Service
Maranatha Kids • 3m 58s
This week, meet a young man from Peru named Carlos Condori. When he was a boy, Carlos remembers arriving to church one Sabbath morning and being met by a large group of people who didn’t look Peruvian. He heard them speaking English, and he was wondering what they were doing there. The visitors turned out to be Maranatha volunteers, and their impact was life-changing for Carlos. Because of their selfless example during that project, as a young adult years later, Carlos decided to study theology to become a pastor.
We pray that this story will remind your kids how a life of service tangibly helps those in need, but also provides an opportunity to impact someone far beyond the limits of the physical act.
Pre-video Discussion Questions
Who inspires you or makes you want to be like them? Why did you think of them?
Post-video Discussion Questions
- Can you think of a time when you saw someone help another person and it made you feel good?
- Even if you’re not on a mission trip, how can you serve others in your regular life? Name three things you could do to help someone every day.
- In the Bible, Jesus inspired his disciples to serve others by taking a moment to wash their feet. It was a shocking lesson, because in that time, only the servants would touch someone else’s dirty feet. Who might you inspire at school, church, or at home, when they see you serving others?
- For us to be an example of service to others.
- Ask kids what they would add to the prayer list.
Did You Know?
- The original Pachacutec church was made of found materials, like old cardboard signs, pieces of wood, thin mats, and plastic. The floor was sand.
- Members say that about 20 more congregations have grown out from this church!
Up Next in Maranatha Kids
Water for Chilimbe
This week, walk in the footsteps of the students at the Chilimbe Primary School in Zimbabwe. Each week, these kids have to leave their classrooms during the school day to make multiple trips to collect water. It’s a long walk, and a big interruption to their education. Your children will have the...
An Amazon Adventure
See how Maranatha’s crew brings new churches to the jungles of the Amazon by boat.
Growing God's Family
See how church members in India jumped in to help Maranatha when faced with a roadblock.