Maranatha Kids • 27-Jan-2022
This week, we’ll learn about a unique culture group right here in North America—the Hutterites. Hutterites are similar to the Amish or Mennonites, valuing community and traditional ways of living. Chris Hofer is a Maranatha volunteer who grew up in a Hutterite colony in North Dakota. As a teenager Chris wanted to experience the world, so he ran away from the colony, only to experience hard times. After struggling with poor decisions for years, he returned to God and eventually became a Seventh-day Adventist. Watch Chris’ remarkable testimony showing that God can use anyone for the mission, no matter their past.
Pre-video Discussion Questions
- Have you ever felt like running away from home, and if so, why?
In today’s video, a Hutterite from North Dakota runs away from his colony, experiences hardship, but ultimately returns to God and finds missions.
Post-video Discussion Questions
- In the Bible, a man named Saul decided to make life miserable for Jesus’ followers. He thought what Jesus taught was not good, and treated those who followed those teachings poorly. But after Jesus appeared to Saul and talked to him, Saul realized he had made a terrible decision. Talk about a decision you’ve made in the past that turned out to be a bad one. What did you do when you realized it was wrong?
- Saul was eventually known as “Paul” and became one of the most famous missionaries for Jesus, spreading the Good News of God through the world. The example of Paul, and Chris Hofer, shows us that no matter the bad decisions we’ve made in the past, God can still use us for the mission. What might God be calling you to do for the mission?
- Help us to remember that bad decisions don’t prevent us from serving God.
- Ask kids what they would add to the prayer list.
Did You Know?
- There are many different Hutterite colonies spread throughout the United States and Canada. Some of them refrain from using modern technology, but in others you can find cell phones, the latest machines, and new household appliances.
Up Next in Maranatha Kids
Growing the Gospel in Bolivia
This week, come with us to the beautiful South American country of Bolivia. Here, you’ll meet Benedicto and Anacleta Ventura, a husband and wife team committed to spreading the Good News in their area. The Venturas lived in the big city of Cochabamba, but as they helped people in the community of...
Committed to Church
This week, we’ll visit the contrasting country of Angola. Although the capital city of Luanda is modernizing, many parts of Angola are still recovering from decades of civil war. In today’s video, your kids will see what life is like in one of the “musseques” or slums of Luanda. Despite the disma...
Prayers and Action in Panama
This week, you’ll get to see the Central American nation of Panama. Famous for the Panama Canal and the large capital of Panama City, this country also has a growing Seventh-day Adventist membership that is eager to spread the Good News to its neighbors. Your kids will meet one group of church me...