Committed to Church
Maranatha Kids • 13-Jan-2022
This week, we’ll visit the contrasting country of Angola. Although the capital city of Luanda is modernizing, many parts of Angola are still recovering from decades of civil war. In today’s video, your kids will see what life is like in one of the “musseques” or slums of Luanda. Despite the dismal conditions, people find hope and refuge in their church community. But many congregations in Angola are meeting in inadequate spaces. See what some of them look like and how Maranatha is helping.
Pre-video Discussion Questions
- During the COVID pandemic, did you ever have school or church outside? If so, what was that like? What are the good and bad parts of meeting outside?
In today’s video, see how committed Angolans worshipped no matter the conditions, and how Maranatha helped.
Post-video Discussion Questions
- If your church was leaking or didn’t have a roof at all, do you think your congregation would continue to worship there? Why or why not?
- Why are the people of Angola so committed to their churches, no matter what condition they are in?
- Why might some church members around the world come to worship each week, no matter the conditions, and others won’t?
- The people of Angola are committed to their churches. What is something you want to be committed to, even if it is difficult?
- Give us the commitment of the Angolan church members.
- Ask kids what they would add to the prayer list.
Did You Know?
- The official language of Angola is Portuguese.
Up Next in Maranatha Kids
Prayers and Action in Panama
This week, you’ll get to see the Central American nation of Panama. Famous for the Panama Canal and the large capital of Panama City, this country also has a growing Seventh-day Adventist membership that is eager to spread the Good News to its neighbors. Your kids will meet one group of church me...
Returning to the Dominican Republic
This week, come with us to the Caribbean island of Hispaniola, home to two countries: Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Maranatha has worked in both nations over the years, but our significant contributions in the Dominican Republic have led to a large increase in membership for the Seventh-day A...
A Different Kind of Christmas
This week, we’ll travel to the South American country of Ecuador for an usual Christmas setting—a mission trip! Instead of focusing on Christmas presents and other familiar holiday traditions, these adventurous families decided to serve. Your kids will see how this project gave volunteers new per...