This week, we’re looking at the different types of food found in the country of India. Your kids will see the markets where people buy their food, and learn about common meal components like curries. They’ll also consider how cooking might be difficult without clean water, which is a predicament for many people in India. Maranatha is working to change that by drilling water wells all over the country, which requires a variety of different techniques and equipment. See how Maranatha is bringing clean water to thousands of Indians despite challenges like rough terrain, transportation of equipment across water, and weak soil.
Pre-video Discussion Questions
- If someone from another country was visiting your home, what meal would you make to show them what the food is like in your country?
In today’s video, learn about different types of food in India, why many people must cook with dirty water, and how Maranatha is helping.
Post-video Discussion Questions
- If you were helping to drill one of the wells in India, which technique would you want to help with?
- Why is it so important to have clean water for cooking?
- When Maranatha drills a well at a Seventh-day Adventist church, people in the community become more connected to the church members, which can lead to people joining the church. They came to the church for water, but they found something even more special. In the Bible, Jesus met a woman at a well who was searching for water, but Jesus asked her if she wanted “living water.” You can read all about this story in John 4. Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” The woman asked Him for this eternal life water. She left her water jar at the well and went to her town to tell everyone about Jesus. Eventually, she came back with a group of people to listen to Him. Many of those people believed in Jesus because of her. What is this “living water” Jesus talked about? Is it actually special water, or something else?
- Can you think of something that people you know need (or think they need) in their lives that you could compare to Jesus’ offer of eternal life? How would you talk to them about the difference between the two?
- Protect those without clean water from getting sick.
- Give us courage to talk to people we know about the “living water” that Jesus described.
- Ask kids what they would add to the prayer list.
Did You Know?
- Many people in India eat meals with their hands—if you don’t normally eat with your hands at meal times, how would you like that?