This week, travel with us to the country of Kenya where we’ll visit the Kiirua Adventist School. The school started in 1989 with only two classrooms, but now there are more than 200 students that attend. Unfortunately, the buildings are showing their age, especially the dorms. Your kids will see how the students at Kiirua used to live, and come alongside the Maranatha volunteers who helped to build them a new dorm.
Pre-video Discussion Questions
- Describe an example of when you were uncomfortable for a long time. How did it feel?
In today’s video, volunteers build a new dorm for students at the Kiirua Adventist School in Kenya.
Post-video Discussion Questions
- Why was it important for the volunteers to look inside the old dorm before they started working on the new dorm?
- One of the first Christian missionaries in the Bible was a man named Paul. But he wasn’t always named Paul, and he wasn’t always a Christian. He grew up as Saul, and for a long time he didn’t believe that Jesus or his disciples were a good influence on people. He tried to stop Jesus’ disciples from preaching or sharing ideas by arresting them or even hurting them. But while he was still trying to stop those first Christians, Saul had an interesting thing happen to him. You can read about it in Acts 9. Saul was traveling to the city of Damascus, when suddenly a bright light flashed around him and he heard a voice say, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?” Saul asked, “Who are you?” “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” the voice replied. For three days after this, Saul was blind. Finally a Christian man named Ananias was sent by God and helped restore Saul’s sight. He was baptized and began to preach about Jesus to everyone he met. Sometimes when we are uncomfortable, we get motivation to make a change. Saul was uncomfortable after hearing the voice of the One he was fighting against, and being blind for three days. The Maranatha volunteers at Kiirua may have been uncomfortable to see the bad conditions of the dorms—they knew that even though they felt bad just from seeing the dorm, it was nothing compared to how the students may have felt living there every day. What is something uncomfortable that has happened to you in your home, neighborhood, school, or church that could actually give you the power to make a good change like Saul or the volunteers?
- Help us to use uncomfortable situations to make good changes.
- Ask kids what they would add to the prayer list.
Did You Know?
- The Kiirua school is located in Meru county, home to Mount Kenya, which stands at 17,057 feet. It is the second-highest peak on the continent of Africa, after Mount Kilimanjaro.