A Single Mother's Sacrifice
Maranatha Kids • 20-May-2021
This week, travel with us to northeast India where we’ll meet a single mother named Elis. Her Seventh-day Adventist faith became a dealbreaker for her husband, who eventually left the family. Elis would have to raise her kids by herself. Yet, she also had the support of her loving church family, which sustained her through the ups and downs of parenthood. But worship each Sabbath was tough because it was in one of the church members’ homes—they needed their own space.
Your kids will see how Elis sacrificed something very important to help her community, and they’ll consider the ways we can sacrifice for others in our own lives.
Pre-video Discussion Questions
- Has someone ever done something nice for you, even if it meant they would lose out in some way? How did it feel to be treated so nicely?
Watch the video
In today’s video, a single mother makes a big sacrifice for her faith community.
Post-video Discussion Questions
- How do you think Elis felt to be left by her husband?
- Do you think Elis could have had an easier life if she had sold the land she owned? Why or why not?
- In the Bible, after Jesus went back to heaven, His followers continued to worship together. They didn’t just come together once a week on Sabbath, but supported each other every day. They shared their money, food, and time. The Bible even mentions a man named Barnabas, who sold his field and donated the money to the rest of the believers. Elis donated her land in a similar way—why do you think she chose to donate her land to her fellow church members instead of selling it and keeping all of the money for herself?
- Can you think of a way to serve others around you, even if it means losing out on something yourself?
- Show us ways to help others, even if we might lose out.
- Ask kids what they would add to the prayer list.
Did You Know?
- Unlike many Indian states, the people in Meghalaya trace their family history and wealth through the women. Here, the youngest daughter inherits all of the wealth and also takes care of her parents when they are older.
Up Next in Maranatha Kids
This week, come with us to Brazil where we’ll meet Francisco Gomes de Lima. Francisco was the first Seventh-day Adventist in the coastal tourist city of Canoa Quebrada. He started worshipping in his house by himself, but eventually, a donor gave land for a church to be built. Francisco’s small gr...
Growing Through Sadness
This week, we travel to the country of Brazil where you’ll meet a lady named Marilene. She wasn’t very interested in learning about God, even though her mother always shared God’s love with her. Then, a tragedy struck, forcing Marilene to reconsider her purpose and faith. See how God used a sad e...
A Beginner Builder
This week, we’ll meet a pastor in Tennessee, named Juan, who was asked to lead his congregation in the construction of a brand new church. The only problem—Juan had no experience in building a church! His congregation, the Ooltewah Hispanic Seventh-day Adventist Church, had been renting worship s...