This week, meet long time Maranatha volunteer, Jane Sines. Over the course of her life, Jane and her husband, Al, served as missionaries in many countries. As young adults, they served as full-time missionaries abroad. When their kids grew to be school aged, the family came back home to the United States, but they continued to serve on short term mission trips through Maranatha. As the years went on, Al ended up becoming sick and passing away. Without her ministry partner, Jane closed the missionary chapter of her life.
But after receiving a letter from Maranatha about a woman on the island of São Tomé, Jane’s interest was piqued once more, and she realized she might have more to give. In this story, your kids will see how Jane’s outlook turned from sadness to joy through service. They’ll also consider the idea that God has a plan for our lives, even when big things change.
Pre-video Discussion Questions
- When do you think you’ve experienced the biggest change in your life? Have you moved to a new house, a new city, or a new state? What about a new school, a new church, or new friends? Have you ever added a new family member or lost a family member? What has been the biggest change you’ve experienced, and why was it hard?
Watch the video
In today’s video, God has a new plan for a woman who thought her missions days were done.
Post-video Discussion Questions
- Why do you think Jane refused to go on a mission trip after her husband passed away?
- In the Bible, God made a promise to Abraham that his wife Sarai would be the mother of a great nation of people. The only problem was that Sarai hadn’t had any children yet, and she was 90 years old! You can read all about this story in Genesis 17-18. Sarai didn’t think it was possible for her to have kids anymore. She thought her days of having children were done. But God gave her a new name, Sarah, and delivered her a baby boy who they named Isaac. Like Sarah, Jane thought her missions days were long gone, but why do you think she eventually decided to get back into the mission field?
- What can we learn from these stories about God’s plan for our lives, even when there are big changes?
- To trust God even when we face big changes.
- Ask kids what they would add to the prayer list.
Did You Know?
- Lina, the woman who inspired Jane to go on her mission trip, lives in the African island nation of São Tomé and Príncipe. Lina’s legs were amputated years ago because of an infection, so she must walk on her hands to get around. Despite her handicap, Lina has been able to provide for her family by sewing or farming. Before Maranatha built a church in her town, people used to meet in her front yard.