This week, meet João Gabriel and Maria da Conceição, a husband and wife fishing team in the coastal town of Destaque, in the country of Angola. Fishing is a big industry in this African nation, and the more fish you catch, the more money you make. Most fishermen are out in the ocean on their boats every single day of the week. But not João and Maria—they are Seventh-day Adventists, so on Friday night, they bring their boat and nets out of the water and rest on Saturday. The only problem is that there is no Adventist Church in their town for them to meet on Sabbath.
In this story, your kids will see how this couple overcame worshipping by themselves and standing out in their business practices as they observed the Sabbath. They’ll also see how Maranatha helped to bring a new church building to Destaque.
Pre-video Discussion Questions
- Have you or your family ever chosen not to do something on Sabbath? What was it, and how did you feel about it?
In today’s video, a couple chooses Sabbath over their fishing business, but have no church to meet in.
Post-video Discussion Questions
- Do you think João was ever teased for not fishing on the Sabbath? How do you think that felt?
- Have you ever felt uncomfortable about Sabbath? What happened?
- João mentioned that often his catch of fish increased on Sunday, making up for not fishing on Sabbath. Have you ever had to miss out on something that happened on Sabbath, but in the end it turned out OK or even great?
- Why is the Sabbath important for you? Why might it be good to have a special Sabbath day each week?
- For the courage to enjoy Sabbath even if it is uncomfortable.
- Ask kids what they would add to the prayer list.
Did You Know?
- Angola is located off the South Atlantic Ocean in Africa.