This week, travel with us to the South American country of Bolivia, where we’ll meet a peach farmer named Alberto Maida. He has been farming since he was a young man, and was blessed each year with a fruitful harvest. When he moved to the town of San Benito, he was disappointed with his local church building—people were crammed into a small space and the kids had to meet outside. Alberto urged his fellow church members to pool their money together to purchase a plot of land, but he realized that they didn’t have much to give.
In this story, you’ll see how God impressed Alberto to help his church through a significant gift, and your kids will consider how God has blessed them and may be calling them to give as well.
Pre-video Discussion Questions
- What is the best gift you’ve ever given to someone?
Watch the video
In today’s video, a peach farmer from Bolivia is impressed to make a big gift to help his congregation.
Post-video Discussion Questions
- Do you remember why Alberto decided to sell his land to buy property for his church?
- Alberto thought about the ways God had blessed him, and he wanted to pass along the blessing to his fellow church members. What are some of the ways God has blessed you?
- Alberto gave up a lot of his own money to provide the land for the new church—how do you think that felt for him?
- When you think about the best gift you’ve given, how did it make you feel?
- Is there a group or person who could use a gift from you? It might not be money. What could you give to help others?
- Thanks to God for all the ways we’ve been blessed.
- To be open to the ways we can be generous.
- Ask kids what they would add to the prayer list.
Did You Know?
- Bolivia is “landlocked,” which means there are no oceans directly touching it. It is the largest landlocked country in the Southern Hemisphere!